Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Stone – Old Guardian – 2010, 2011 & Belgo

Stone Brewery’s Old Guardian is an annual Barley wine (11.3% ABV and 95 IBU) release.  Stone is known for use of hops and I like big beers.  I went to Roger’s last week and we started out with 2010 and later poured 2011.  I thought that the 2010 would be my favorite over the 2011 as I thought the flavors would have blended over the past year.  However, I preferred the 2011 over the 2010.  I thought 2011 was more balanced over the 2010.  Both years are malty and hoppy and they are good.  Later in the week, I poured the Belgo and I liked it the best.  Stone has an “Odd Beers for Odd Years” and this year, they “spike a few barrels of the Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine with our Belgian yeast strain”.  Belgo retains the characteristics of OG and blends well with the Belgian yeast strain.  Belgo is a great blend and it is a great take on the Barley wine style.

No comments:

Post a Comment