Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Maui - Coconut Porter

I had seen a podcast (New Brew Thursday) and read a mini-review in Beer magazine about Maui Coconut Porter with an ABV of 6.0% and an IBU of 30. I wanted to try this beer and originally it was not available in Colorado. However, on a recent trip, I spied it and acquired this dark porter. Maui Coconut Porter pours a dark black with a nice frothy head. There is a nice sweet aroma with chocolate, coffee, and coconut overtones. This beer tastes like the aroma and has a nice coconut flavor that I liken more to coconut milk than to roasted coconut. It went excellent with chocolate pie and the combination highlighted the coconut flavor. Maui’s website describes Coconut Porter as “a fresh handcrafted robust porter with six varieties of malted barley, hops and hand-roasted coconut. It begins with a malty-toasted coconut aroma followed by a rich, silky feel with tastes of dark malt, chocolate and hints of coffee. It then finishes with flavors of toasted coconut and hoppy spice to balance the finish.” This description describes Coconut perfectly. This is a great new take on the porter style and I liked it - great innovation and great job on this one. Coconut Porter has won many awards and I look forward to trying the three other offerings from Maui Brewing Co.; Bikini Blonde, Big Swell IPA, and Mana Wheat. It has been awhile since I have been to Hawaii and I have another brewery to visit on my next trip to Maui.

No comments:

Post a Comment