Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bristol - Laughing Lab

Bristol is a small brewing in Colorado Springs and they took home two medals from the 2010 GABF.  No. 23 Barley wine won silver in the Barley wine-style ale and Laughing Lab - Scottish Ale ( 5% ABV and 19 IBU) was awarded a bronze in the Scottish-Style Ale category.  I had tried No.23 previously and I wanted to try Laughing Lab.  Being a Scottish-Style Ale, I knew Laughing Lab would be focused on malt sweetness with little to no bitterness from hops.  This is also (per the website) the most awarded beer at GABF with 9 medals - "Nine scottish ale medals since 1994 make Laughing Lab the most decorated Colorado beer at the Great American Beer Festival.® A careful blend of specialty malts gives Lab a nutty, roasted flavor that’s mildly sweet, but not too rich. Smooth and luscious!"   Laughing Lab pours an amber / tan / deep red and has a small head that quickly recedes.  It has a good malt aroma and is very drinakable.  This is a very good beer and I understand why it has won so many medals.  So far, I have enjoyed all that I have tried from Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment