Saturday, April 16, 2011

Big Sky – Moose Drool and Bridgeport – Kingpin

I really like Brown ales and I have wanted to try Big Sky’s Moose Drool (5.3% ABV) for some time.  My favorite is Avery’s Ellie’s Brown Ale and I consider it my standard for the style.  Moose Drool pours dark brown with amber tones and has a two-finger head if you watch your pour.  Moose Drool has a great aroma of malt sweetness and just a touch of hops.  Moose Drool is the “best selling beer brewed in Montana” per the website and is described as “It’s chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture.  A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet.  The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops.”  Moose Drool is a tasty beer and I would have it again.  But again, I am partial to Brown ales.

I have tried a few beers from Bridgeport and I grabbed Kingpin (7.5% ABV and 65 IBU) as a member of my mixed 6er.  Kingpin pours red with a large off-white head – be careful pouring this one.  Kingpin has a nice aroma of malt and you can really pick up the hops.  Bridgeport describes Kingpin as “a full-flavored, red-colored ale that uses a rarely-grown Willamette Valley Hop varietal known as Liberty Hops from fourth generation hop farmer John Annen of Annen Bros. Farm in Silverton, Oregon. Jeff and his team of brewers also used rye and caramel malt leading to a unique flavor profile; triple-hopped for bitter aroma and a unique dry-hopped character.”  Kingpin is an interesting beer and I would describe it as a cross between a Red ale and an IPA because of the use of hops. 


No comments:

Post a Comment