Saturday, April 2, 2011

Alaskan - Imperial IPA and Odell - Myrcenary

Alaska Brewing is one of my favorite brewers and I have enjoyed a number of their wares over the years.  Their Smoke Porter, Amber, and Barley wine are some of my favorites and recently I tried the Double Black IPA and it was very good.  Imperial IPA is part of the Pilot Series and has an ABV of 8.5% with an IBU of 60. Imperial IPA pours golden amber and has a nice citrus aroma.  This tastes very good and is very well balanced.  Imperial IPA is not as hoppy as some Imperial IPAs I have tried and I like this beer.  The website describes Imperial IPA’s flavor profile as “Rich in color and full in flavor, Alaskan Imperial IPA is packed with Pacific Northwest hops over a sturdy malt body. Designed with balance in mind, the aroma features hints of tangerine and other citrus with the toasted sweetness of crystal malt. The green and resinous aromas of Chinook and Amarillo hops waft over the robust bitterness of Centennial hops before finishing with the dry warmth of an imperial strength IPA.”  Alaska Brewing has brewed another very good beer and if you have the opportunity to try it and you like IPAs, I think you will enjoy it.

Odell’s Myrcenary is a Double IPA (9.3% ABV and ?? IBU) is available now in a 4 pack.  The beer is “named after Myrcene, an essential oil in the hop flower, Myrcenary Double IPA is our tribute to those who revere the illustrious hop, and their unyielding exploit to craft hop forward beers.  Brewed with a blend of hops containing the highest levels of Myrcene, this Double IPA prevails with a tropical fruit-like flavor, a pungent floral aroma, and a clean getaway.” (From the website & on the label).  This one pours gold and has a nice citrus and floral aroma.  I am not sure, but I think it has a higher IBU than the Alaskan Imperial IPA.  This is a good IPA from Odell and I have three more to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment