Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Horton's Homebrew - Nectar of the Gods


I had wanted to try adding chocolate to a beer and with the ingredients I had left over from After Midnight Porter, I decided to try adding chocolate to the recipe.  I came up with the name from a recollection of chocolate being referred to as “nectar of the gods”.  Nectar of the Gods (5.63% ABV and 40 IBU) looks just like After Midnight and the chocolate addition added very little flavor to the beer.  Nectar of the Gods tastes almost exact like After Midnight.  Lori could not detect any chocolate influence in the beer.  I just bottled two amber ales and I think I will try a wheat beer next.  
The recipe is as follows:

Malts -
7# Briess Pale Liquid Malt Extract
8 oz. Briess Caramel 60 L
8 oz. Briess Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Black Patent Malt
8 oz. Unsweetened Baker’s Chocolate added at the start of the boil.

Hops -
.25 oz. Nugget – 60 Minutes
.25 oz. Nugget – 40 Minutes
.25 oz. Williamette – 40 Minutes
.25 oz. Williamette – 20 minutes

Yeast – Wyeast 1056 American Ale

American Porter - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/159 – BeerAdvocate
The Brew Hut - http://thebrewhut.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment