Thursday, April 5, 2012

Birthday = Pizza and a nice Stout


My birthday was Monday and my wife and son took me to Parry’s Pizzeria and Bar for a birthday brew and a nice pizza.  We ordered crispy green beans for an appetizer and the 5 bouroughs pizza for the main course.  I selected The Lost Abbey’s Serpent Stout (10.5% ABV), an imperial stout, for my birthday brew and it was excellent.  I had read and heard, via podcasts, about this beer and it lived up to everything I had heard about.  It was an excellent beer and I highly recommend it.  It is a big beer and is one to be slowly consumed and enjoy.
Website description – “The history of the bible and religion is indeed the struggle of good vs. evil. Our Serpent’s Stout recognizes the evil of the dark side that we all struggle with.  This is a massively thick and opaque beer that begs the saints to join the sinners in their path to a black existence.  Tasting Notes:  Pours dark and thick, with a creamy mocha-colored head and aromas of roasted malts, dark chocolate and french roast coffee.  The mouthfeel is full, smooth and round on the tongue. The taste is rich with deep roasted malts, cocoa, coffee and a touch of vanilla balanced perfectly against the alcohol to create an excellent winter warmer.

I was running some errands a couple of weekends ago when I received a text from my friend Roger who was having lunch with Jay at Parry’s Pizzeria and Bar and I was right next to it.  I ran in to say hi and ordered a Moylan’s Kilt Lifter (8% ABV) Scotch Wee Heavy to enjoy as we chatted.  It was a very nice Scotch Ale and ws perfect for a Sunday afternoon.

Website description – “Robust and Strapping , Our Scotch Ale takes BIG Beers to a whole new level. Rich malt balances perfectly with delicate hops to provide a concentrated and intense flavor; an ideal companion for hearty foods, or as a meal unto itsself. Allow this ale to warm slightly in your glass to enhance its truly bold character .Sharing is encouraged, as this is one beer that lives up to its name! Hey! No peeking! Slainté! “


No comments:

Post a Comment