Saturday, December 11, 2010

Oskar Blues - Ten Fidy

Lori and I met Courtney at the Outback in Castle Rock last night for dinner.  There were just under 10 taps with approximately 10 – 15 beers in bottles.  My first selection was Sam Adam’s Winter Lager on tap at 5.6% ABV that is reddish brown.  The website describes the beer as having cinnamon, ginger, with a hint of citrus (orange peel), but I did not pick it up.  I was not real satisfied with this selection and was very happy to see Abita on tap.  Could it be Turbo Dog?  Yes, it was and I ordered one to go with my dinner of Sirloin Steak and baked potato.  I had Turbo Dog the previous week at NoNo’s Café in a bottle, and I thought the beer tasted even better from the tap.  Turbo Dog is a dark brown ale with 5.6% ABV and 28 IBU and went perfectly with my dinner.  I will order Turbo Dog again, but I will not order Sam Adam’s Winter Lager.

I poured an Oskar Blues Ten Fidy – Imperial Stout at 10.5% and 98 IBU to enjoy while watching SyFy’s Sanctuary and this one pours as dark as I have ever seen a beer and there is virtually no head.  Some describe the pour as oil coming out of a can and you have to see it to truly appreciate the darkness of this beer.  I took my time with this one and I poured it in a pint glass and let it warm up a bit.  It is better warmer than fridge cold.  Oskar Blues describes Ten Fidy as “This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt.  Ten FIDY (10.5% ABV) is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Ten FIDY is the ultimate celebration of dark malts and boundary-stretching beer.”  This is an interesting beer and I cannot see one drinking more than 1 or 2 at a setting.  This is a sipping beer to be enjoyed with chocolate – good dark chocolate – or a powerful cheese.  I can see why this beer is rated high and I am glad there are a few more in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment