Monday, December 13, 2010

Great Divide - Oak-aged Yeti

Great Divide’s Oak-aged Yeti is an Imperial Stout at 9.5% ABV and 75 IBU.  This one pours a much frothier head as compared to Yeti and the head is so think you can pick it up with fork.  I know because I did.  The aging seems to blend the flavors and further balances this already very good beer.  I did not pick up oak per say, but I still picked up caramel, toffee, coffee and smoke.  The coffee and smoke had mellowed out.  I paired Oak-aged Yeti with a dinner of Burgundy Pepper marinated Tri-Tip, Sweet Potato and a mixed vegetable sauté of onion, jalapeno peppers, carrots and broccoli.  I thought this pairing worked very well together and the sweetness and caramel notes of Yeti were enhanced by the meal.  Oak-aged Yeti is very nice and I can easily recommend it.

Great Divide’s website describes Oak-aged Yeti as ”Yeti Imperial Stout’s sophisticated sibling. They may be from the same clan, but they have entirely different personalities. Oak aging gives a subtle vanilla character, rounding out Yeti’s intense roastiness and huge hoppy nature. Who says you can’t tame a Yeti?”  This beer has won numerous awards and suggested pairings are “Grilled NY strip, fudge brownies, strong/salty blue cheese”.  This is a very nice Imperial Stout and if you like this style, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment