Wednesday, December 5, 2012

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

While vacationing and visiting with the family in Arizona over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was able to slip out and drink a couple of pints at the Handlebar Pub and Grill in Apache Junction. I had stopped by the Handlebar on my last trip to AZ and I thought they had a very good tap list for a smaller place and I noticed that they had added a few extra taps featuring beers from Belgium. There were some from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck (Castle Brewery) and I selected St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition (5% ABV). A Gueuze is a blended sour beer using Lambics of different ages.

Gueuzehttp://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/14 - BeerAdvocate 


Photo from the Barley Blog

Appearance – It took awhile for the bartender to serve it as I am sure he needed to allow the head to reside to provide me with a proper pour. The gueuze was a golden straw color with nice carbonation.
Aroma – I picked up a musty, earthy, grassy aroma with hints of tart citrus and a touch of vinegar.
Taste – I could definitely taste the yeast and a nice bread taste that was quickly followed by tart, sour notes. The sourness was not overwhelming and was more like eating tart fruit and just a touch of wine vinegar.
OverallB – I enjoyed this Gueuze and it was easy to drink. I enjoy sour beers and I would have this one again.

Website description - Golden-blond, unfiltered, unsweetened. An extremely pure beer with a long history. A humble nose with a lot of fruit, dominated by young sour apples. An extremely dry aftertaste, which immediately demands another sip. A delicious thirst-quencher that reminds you of its history with every sip.

St. Louis Fond Tradition Gueuzehttp://www.vanhonsebrouck.be/en/sintlouis-gueuze-fond.html

No comments:

Post a Comment