Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Beer Camp #78 – Baltic Joy and Devotion


On Friday, I took the family for some pizza at Parry’s Pizzeria and Bar and for a tapping of Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp #78 Baltic Joy (7.4% ABV and 35 IBU).  Baltic Joy is a Baltic Porter and was brewed with almonds and coconuts and I am thinking a good bit of chocolate malt to get a taste reminiscent of the Almond Joy candy bar.  I was amazed at the head retention on this beer and it seemed to never truly go away.  Baltic Joy was very tasty and I could detect chocolate, coffee, and hits of nuts and coconut.  The beer reminded me of Maui Brewing’s Coconut Porter.  This beer is very limited and it was not even listed on the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp site.

I also had a glass of Lost Abbey’s Devotion (6.25% ABV).  Devotion is a Belgian Pale Ale and the Lost Abbey is a noted brewer of Belgian-style beer.  Devotion was a great beer to enjoy with pizza and I liked the tastes of Belgian yeast, bread, sweetness and a touch of citrus bitterness. 

Parry’s Pizzeria and Bar - http://www.parryspizza.com/parrysbar/

No comments:

Post a Comment