Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Double DBA is Awesome

Back at Parry’s for another couple of pints with friends and some great food.  Tibor and I split calzones – he ordered a Buffalo Chicken Calzone and I ordered a Meat Calzone.  I was surprised with the Buffalo Chicken Calzone as I was not sure what to expect; it was excellent.  For beers, Melanie informed me that they just tapped Double Double Barrel Ale from Firestone Walker and I promptly placed an order.  DBA is a very tasty beer on its own and Matt Brynildson, head brewer at Firestone Walker, is at the top of his game.  I think Firestone Walker is the best brewer in the U.S. at this time – period.  Double DBA (12% ABV) is classed as a Barley Wine and is essentially a double strength DBA.  DBA is the flagship beer at Firestone Walker.  Double DBA is excellent and easily one of the best beers I have had the opportunity to sample this year.  DBA has very nice caramel, toffee and oak tastes and is just perfectly balanced with the triad of alcohol, bitterness and sweetness.
Double DBA website description – “DDBA is our flagship beer brewed at double strength.  It is amazingly similar in many respects to our barrel fermented DBA and possesses everything we love about that beer times two.  English caramel malts lend rich toffee character that pairs well with assertive medium toast American oak barrels.”

Firestone Walker - http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/double-dba
Parry’s Pizzeria and Bar - http://www.parryspizza.com/parrysbar/

I also sampled a Sam Adams Old Kentucky-style Ale (7.5% ABV - ??) that is classed as an American Strong Ale.  It is not a bad beer, and is easy to drink.  However, I would suggest not trying it after Double DBA.   Double DBA is a much larger beer and easily overpowers Old Kentucky.  There is very little information that I could find on Old Kentucky Ale and I would like to try it again – first this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment