Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Bier Brewery and Sun King

I was back home again in Indiana (no pun intended) to visit relatives and celebrate my parent’s 50th wedding anniversary.  On Friday, 5 August, we stayed at Karen and Darren’s home.  Darren had went out earlier to the Bier Brewery and picked up a growler of Weisengoot and a liter of Apricot Wheat Bier.  The Weisengoot is a Hefeweizen and both poured cloudy yellow with a nice two-finger head.  I enjoyed both of these very much and I thought the Weizengoot reminded my of Avery’s White Rascal with a taste hints of spice, banana and perhaps a Belgian yeast taste.  The Apricot Wheat Bier was the first fruit beer that I can say that I actually enjoyed.  I wish I had stopped by the brewery to sample more of their biers, but the schedule was too tight.  I have since learned the Bier Brewery was awarded the Indiana State Fair Champion Brewery this year and I have traded email with the brewer congratulating them on their win and brewing some mighty tasty bier. 

I also had the opportunity, thank you Darren, to try Sun King’s Wee Mac (5.3% ABV and 23 IBU) a Scottish-style Brown Ale that is described as a “Scottish Style Brown [with] a nice hazelnut character and with rich toffee undertones”, which was awarded the “Gold Medal, 2010 Indiana Brewer’s Cup, English Brown Ale”.  This one poured from the can dark tan with a nice head.  This is a really nice tasting beer and easy to drink.  I can see why Sun King was named one of the ten brewers to watch in 2011 by Draft magazine. 

I was really impressed by these three samplings from Indiana craft brewers and I look forward to trying more from them on the next trip back to Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment