Saturday, June 11, 2011

What I Like and What I Don't

The two beers listed below were sampled on different evenings.  I cannot imagine having them in succession or during the same evening because of the differences between the styles.  Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout (5% ABV) is produced in the U.K. and available in the U.S. with many of the other offerings from Samuel Smith’s.  I have had a few of the offerings and they are all good.  The Yorkshire Stingo was awarded a rare 100 rating by Draft Magazine.  Oatmeal Stout pours dark with a large head – be careful pouring.  Good malty aroma and nice mouth feel.  This is just a nice drinking stout, creamy, slightly sweet, hints of coffee and a nice bittersweet finish.

What I don’t like – Raspberry Beers.  I have only had a couple and I was not particularly fond of either.  I do not think it is an issue with the Brewer, I think it is my palate.  Twisted Pine’s Raspberry Wheat (5% ABV and 10 IBU) pours cloudy yellow with a small head and has a hint of raspberry on the nose.  The beer doesn’t taste bad, I just do not like the raspberry taste associated with it.  Per the website, it is a popular beer.  I think it would be my last choice at Twisted Pine.  I have enjoyed all of their offerings that I have sampled from Twisted Pine.  I think I would even pick Ghost Killa [in ya] Face – a chili beer made with the world’s hottest - Ghost peppers, that would wreck my palate before Raspberry Wheat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment