Saturday, January 15, 2011

Red IPA, Total Disorder Porter and Hibernation Ale

I went to a going away gathering for one of my co-workers last night at C.B & Potts and I enjoyed a Bid Red IPA.  Big Red is red / amber in color and has an ABV of 6%.  This has the bitterness of an IPA and it is not bad, and I would call it an average IPA – nothing extraordinary.  The C.B. & Potts website describes Big Red as “An American style IPA, our Big Red combines the distinctive and assertive citrus flavor and aroma of Amarillo hops with a crisp, pleasantly bitter finish.” I had the GABF 2010 Gold winner with Total Disorder Porter next and I liked it much better.  This is a good beer with nice malt use and tastes of chocolate, caramel, and toffee.  Total Disorder Porter is describes as “satisfies with chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors plus a smooth, rich finish. Best of all, this Gold Medal winner is in our everyday lineup and is available anytime!  I would order Total Disorder Porter again the next I go to C.B. & Potts.

Later that evening, I poured a Great Divide Hibernation Ale that is an English-Style Ale with an ABV of 8.7%.  This one pours with a nice head that quickly recedes.  I was impressed by the malty sweetness and an almost “hot chocolate” aftertaste.   The website describes Hibernation Ales - “…has been our celebrated winter tradition since 1995. This robust, dry-hopped ale has a malty richness balanced with a complex hop profile and hearty, warming character.”  This is a nice beer and I look forward to having a few more of these over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment