Friday, January 14, 2011

Beers Before the Blog

2010 – Beers before the blog – Before I started this blog I had tried a number of other beers and they are listed below.  I thought I would do this to keep everything recorded and current.  The list below is listed in alphabetical order by Brewer.

Alaskan Brewing Company is a great regional craft brewer that I very much enjoy as I toured the brewery during a vacation in Juneau.  They are known for the Smoke Porter and the Amber and these are very good.  I recently tried the Barley Wine and it may now be my favorite from Alaskan.
-       Amber is an Alt-Style Ale with an ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 18
-       White is a Wheat Ale with an ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 15
-       Summer is Kolsch-Style Ale with an ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 18

Avery is my favorite craft brewer and is based in Boulder, Co.  I have sampled the lineup that is available and I have enjoyed all of them.  I plan to visit the brewery / tap room early this year.  Ellie’s Brown Ale, the Maharaja, 17, White Rascal, Salvation and the Reverend are my favorites.  Avery is known for higher ABVs and the use of hops.
-       Hog Heaven is a Barley Wine with an ABV of 9.2% and an IBU of 104
-       The Reverend is a Belgian Quadrupel Ale with an ABV of 10% and an IBU of 10
-       Salvation is a Belgian-Style Golden Ale with an ABV of 9% and an IBU of 25
-       The Maharaja is an Imperial IPA with an ABV of 10.24% and an IBU of 102
-       The Kaiser is an Imperial Oktoberfest Lager with an ABV of 9.3% and an IBU of 24
-       Collaboration, not Litigation Ale with an ABV of 8.91%

Blue Moon is owned by Coors and I really like their Pumpkin Ale.
-       Harvest Moon is a Pumpkin Ale with an ABV of 5.7%

Boston Beer Company is a huge craft brewer famous for Sam Adams and has been instrumental in carrying the craft brew flag.
-       Honey Porter with and ABV of 5.5%

Breckenridge Brewery is a local craft brewery in Breckenridge Colorado and makes a number of styles and the 471 series is a small batch series with some interesting beers.  I purchased a 12 pack with 4 different styles and my favorite was Vanilla Porter.
-       Vanilla Porter with an ABV of 4.7% and an IBU of 16
-       Avalanche Ale is an American Amber Ale with an ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 19
-       Summer Bright is an American Wheat Ale with Fruit with an ABV of 4.5% and an IBU of 15
-       Lucky U IPA with an ABV of 6.2% and an IBU of 68

Ft. Collins Brewery is a local craft brewer and I wanted to try the Chocolate Stout that took gold at this year’s GABF.
-       Chocolate Stout with an ABV of 4.8% and an IBU of 33

Grand Lake is a local craft brewery in Grand Lake Colorado and I purchased a six-pack with six different styles.  My favorite was Plaid Bastard.
-       Hoppy’s One Ton Pale Ale with an ABV of 5%
-       Wooley Booger Nut Brown Ale with an ABV of 5%
-       Plaid Bastard is a Strong Scotch Ale with an ABV of 8%
-       Stump Jumper IPA with an ABV of 5%
-       Rocky Mt. Red is an Amber Ale with an ABV of 5%
-       Shadow Mt. Stout with an ABV of 5%

Great Divide is a large craft brewer based in downtown Denver.  I have only tried a few beers from Great Divide and my plan is to sample their line through 2011.  
-       Titan is an IPA with an ABV of 7.1% and an IBU of 65.

Left Hand Brewing is a local craft brewer in Boulder, CO with a large number of styles.  I really like Milk Stout and the 2010 Fade to Black Series 2 Smoked Baltic Porter.
-       Polestar Pilsner with an ABV of 5.5% and an IBU of 33
-       Sawtooth is an American-Style ESB with an ABV of 5.3% and an IBU of 27

New Belgium Brewing Company is a very large craft brewer in Ft. Collins, Colorado that is best known for Fat Tire Amber Ale.  There are a number of offerings from New Belgium and their release of Ranger IPA was a big hit in 2010.  I really like Fat Tire (who doesn’t?), 1554, Abbey, and Ranger.  I recently tried Blue Paddle, Pilsener Lager, and it is another nice beer from New Belgium.
-       Fat Tire is an Amber Ale with an ABV of 5.2% and an IBU of 18.5
-       1554 is a Black Ale with an ABV of 5.6% and an IBU of 21
-       Abbey is a Belgian-Style Ale with an ABV of 7.0% and an IBU of 20
-       Ranger IPA with an ABV of 6.5% and an IBU of 70
-       Trippel is a Belgian-Style Ale of with an ABV of 7.8% and an IBU of 25

Red Hook is a regional craft brewer in Seattle best known for Red Hook ESB.  This was my go-to beer when I lived in Seattle and when I first moved to Denver, I kept asking for Red Hook and everyone always asked do you mean Fat Tire?  It will be interesting the next time I am in Seattle if I asked for a Fat Tire.
-       ESB is an Extra Special Bitter Ale with an ABV of 5.5% and an IBU of 13

Sierra Nevada is a large and excellent California craft brewer that makes a wide variety of styles.  They were one of the big stories in 2010 with the 30th Anniversary series.  Tumbler is a very good brown ale.
-       Tumbler  is a seasonal Autumn Brown Ale with an ABV of 5.5% and an IBU of 37
-       Porter with an ABV of 5.6% and an IBU of 32
-       Stout with an ABV of 5.8% and an IBU of 50

Ska is a Durango, Colorado based craft brewer. I have only tried a few different styles from Ska and I need to try more.  I really liked Buster Nut Brown Ale.
-       Buster Nut Brown Ale with an ABV of 5.15% and an IBU of 29

Stone is a very good brewer based in Escondido, CA that is known for the Arrogant Bastard line of ales and for the use of copious amounts of hops.  I have not tried a beer from Stone that I have not enjoyed.  Your palate is in for a kick and these are great beers.
-       Arrogant Bastard with an ABV of 7.2% and an IBU of ??
-       Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale with an ABV of 8.7% and an IBU of 90

Twisted Pine is a local craft brewer that took home a silver medal in this year’s GABF with Big Shot Espresso Stout. This was a nice beer and had good coffee overtones and I thought would be actually great with breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment