Saturday, January 1, 2011

Great Divide - Hoss

Great Divide’s Hoss is a Rye Lager with and ABV of 6.2% and IBU of ??.  Great Divide describes Hoss as “based on the Marzen lagers of Germany. Rich, layered malt notes, with hints of cherry and dark fruits, dominate, while the unique addition of rye imparts a slightly earthy, spicy character. Hoss finishes crisp and dry, and its brilliant red-orange color is a toast to the sunsets that make the perfect backdrop for this beer.”  This is a very accurate description of this beer and at first I was taken back by the flavor, but it grew on me as I sampled the beer.  I thought this would go great with a Rueben as I could pick up on the rye notes in the beer.  Hoss has won a number of awards for Great Divide and this is a unique beer with the addition of the rye.  I have not tasted anything like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment