Saturday, March 17, 2012

Port Brewing – Anniversary Ale


I went to lunch with my friend and martial arts training buddy Roger yesterday at Parry’s Pizzeria & Bar, which is becoming a regular spot for me.  We had a great meat pizza and I ordered the Port Brewing Anniversary Ale (10% ABV and ? IBU).  Port Brewing is based in Carlsbad, CA and they have won numerous awards over the years for their beers.  Scott, the local Sierra Nevada rep was there and I got a chance to talk to him and provide some accolades for Ruthless Rye, Hoptimum and Raiders of the Lost Hops.  I had met Scott at Denver Winter Beer Fest and spoke to him again at Lukas Liquors.  It was good to get a chance to speak with Scott and provide some feedback on the Sierra Nevada beers.

American Double / Imperial IPA - description – http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/140 -BeerAdvocate


Appearance – Straw / orange with a nice white head – poured in a New Belgium globe glass.
Aroma – Hops and more hops, this is a West Coast IPA and focuses on the contributions from hops – citrus and pine with a touch of lemon and just a hint of caramel malt sweetness.
Taste – Excellent – this is a fantastic Imperial IPA and I am really glad I tried it.  It is a West Coast Hop blaster and you get the citrus, grapefruit, lemon with a tough of sweetness that quickly is overtaken be the bitter finish.  I can taste why Port Brewing has taken home awards over the years.
OverallA – This is excellent and I look forward to trying other offerings from Port Brewing.

Website description –  “A massively hopped strong pale ale brewed to celebrate our anniversary each year. Anniversary Ale is light gold to pale orange in color and offers a potent aroma of fresh pine and citrus with some warming alcohols present.  The taste is a thick, chewy hop presence only barely contained by balancing malts. The finish is pure hop expression with a moderate warming alcohol sensation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment