Sunday, December 12, 2010

Great Divide - Yeti and Avery - IPA

On the can of Avery – India Pale Ale – it states “Hop Heads Unite.”  So, I knew I was in for a hopped up version of IPA.  This is a nice one too at 6.5% ABV and 69 IBU.  The beer pours golden with a nice head and a floral / citrus nose.  The description on the can says that, “Our IPA is an intense hop experience straight from the can?  Settle back and savor the citrusy floral bouquet and the rich, malty, yet dry finish.  Brewed by hop heads, for hop heads.”  This one is nice and it was great to have while I was preparing dinner.



After dinner, I opened a bottle of Great Divide’s Yeti – Imperial Stout at 9.5%ABV and 75 IBU.  This is one of the best beers I have tasted this year.  It pours very dark with little head and is described as “an onslaught of the senses. It starts with big, roasty malt flavor that gives way to rich caramel and toffee notes. YETI gets its bold hop character from an enormous quantity of American hops.”  I tasted the caramel and toffee qualities of this beer and I also picked up hints of smoke and coffee.  Great Divide recommends pairing Yeti with Grilled Steaks, strong / salty blue cheese, and chocolate and I paired Yeti with a salty (not too strong) Windsor Blue Cheese and they went together wonderfully.  I can see why Yeti has won numerous awards over the years and it is one I will buy again.  I am trying the Oak-Aged Yeti this evening with steak and it should be very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment